Now Playing
HOT 99.5
Last Song Played
Duval's ONLY R&B
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
HOT 99.5
Last Song Played
Duval's ONLY R&B

Posted: January 21, 2016

Teen nearly dies from toxic shock syndrome

By Cox Media Group National Content Desk


Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A Michigan teenager is recovering in an area hospital after she almost died from toxic shock syndrome.

WILX reported Rylie Whitten, 15, was in intensive care for two weeks and only recently taken off life support.

Doctors said the case was one of the worst they’ve seen.

>> Read more trending stories

Whitten initially had flu-like symptoms Jan. 4. Her parents told her to get some rest and take a day off from school.

When Whitten was vomiting and in pain the next day, her parents took her to the hospital.

Doctors concluded that a tampon was likely to blame in Whitten’s case.

Toxic shock syndrome is rare, but there are steps that should be taken to avoid it.

Anyone can get the infection, but it is most common in women who are on their period and use super absorbent tampons.

Those types of tampons should be avoided if possible.

Those who menstruate should change their tampons often and never leave a tampon in overnight, instead switching to a pad.

It can also be caused from foreign packings inside the body such as cotton for a nosebleed, a wound infection after surgery, or recent surgery, according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

A family member set up a GoFundMe page for Whitten which has surpassed its $2,000 goal.

TOXIC SHOCK: A Michigan Teen is recovering after almost dying from Toxic Shock Syndrome likely caused by a tampon....

Posted by WILX News 10 on Thursday, January 21, 2016

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.


The Hot 99.5 Business on the Move

View this weeks Business on the Move here. Know of a business that deserves to be HOT 99.5's next Business on the Move?