Now Playing
HOT 99.5
Last Song Played
Duval's ONLY R&B
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
HOT 99.5
Last Song Played
Duval's ONLY R&B

sports

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Source: Marlins, Yankees agree on deal for slugger Giancarlo Stanton

In a blockbuster deal, the New York Yankees and Miami Marlins have agreed to a trade that would send reigning National League MVP Giancarlo Stanton to New York, a source told The Associated Press on Saturday.

>> Read more trending news

The trade is not official yet, since Stanton must agree to the terms stipulated in his no-trade clause, ESPN reported.

Infielder Starlin Castro would go to Miami as part of the deal, a second source familiar with the negotiations told the AP.

The deal — which will give the Yankees a potent power-hitting combination with slugger Aaron Judge — is awaiting physicals for the players involved, according to multiple reports. Stanton reportedly gave final stamp of approval to the trade on Saturday morning, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Stanton is owed $295 million over the next 10 years. ESPN previously reported Friday night that he was prepared to listen to a proposal involving the Yankees. Castro, 27, an American League All-Star for the Yankees, has two years and approximately $23.7 million remaining on his contract, MLB.com reported.

The Yankees bolstered their lineup and the Marlins will receive several prospects in addition to Stanton, but the deal stunned Miami fans, who are criticizing team CEO Derek Jeter -- a five-time World Series champion with the Yankees -- for the deal. Jeter has been ripped for already trading away an All-Star to cut payroll, as he sent second baseman Dee Gordon to the Mariners last month.

Stanton has spent  his entire eight-year career with the Marlins. In 2017, he hit 59 home runs, drove in 132 runs and batted .281 to win the NL’s MVP award.

Former pitcher Dwight Gooden plays Santa at NYC gentlemen’s club

Former New York Mets star Dwight Gooden was pitching a different kind of game Tuesday night.

>> Read more trending news

The former major-league pitcher played Santa Claus but was not handing out presents to children. The 1985 National League Cy Young Award winner, who was dressed up as St. Nick for the first time, instead posed with dancers at the Vivid Cabaret in New York City, a club The New York Times said “is politely described” as a gentlemen’s club.

“It’s Christmastime, and I got a lot of presents to buy,” said Gooden, who made more than $36 million during his 16-year career. “I got seven kids, four grandkids, with another on the way any minute now, and two ex-wives. So every dollar counts.”

While the amount Gooden was paid was not revealed, the Times, quoting an anonymous source, said the former right-handed pitcher was paid $500. Gooden is not the first former member of the New York Mets to play Santa at the club, the Times reported. Former teammate Len Dykstra -- who, like Gooden steered the Mets to a World Series title in 1986 -- donned a wig and a red suit to the club last year.

“Normally, guys pay to come here,” Gooden told  the Times. “I’m getting paid to come here.”

Gooden, who lives in Piscataway, New Jersey, in a rented apartment, said his life is in order now, a statement in stark contrast to the substance abuse problems he had during his playing career. Those addictions also followed him after he retired from the game in 2000.

But Gooden makes appearances at memorabilia shows to sign autographs and has just begun selling a line of T-shirts, caps and sweatshirts that carry a silhouette of the pitcher’s high leg kick on his website, Goodenbrand.com.

“My life is pretty good right now,” Gooden told the Times.

Gooden, 53, said he is receiving pension money from the players’ union. For a player with 10 years of major-league service time who waits until he is 62, that amounts to $210,000 a year. Gooden took the pension early and is receiving a reduced amount, the Times reported.

“I’m taking it not so much for me but for my kids,” he said. “I mean, I’m 53 now and you never know. If anything happens to me, my kids get it. And I wouldn’t have collected it, then the ex-wives would get it.”

USA Gymnastics doctor sentenced to 60-year prison term

A judge sentenced a Michigan sports doctor to 60 years in federal prison for child pornography crimes, one of three criminal cases against a man who also has admitted to assaulting female gymnasts.

>> Read more trending news

Larry Nassar worked at Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics, which trains Olympians. Federal Judge Janet Neff followed the government’s recommended sentence Thursday. The Michigan sports doctor admitted he molested gymnasts and kept a staggering collection of child pornography — investigators found more than 37,000 images of child porn on Nassar’s electronic devices in 2016. Separately, he has pleaded guilty to molesting gymnasts with his hands in the Lansing, Michigan, area under the guise of treatment.

Neff said Nassar, 54, “should never again have access to children.”

In January, he will be sentenced for the cases related to his molestation of former gymnasts in his care.

Skier Lindsey Vonn says she won’t represent Trump at Olympics

Alpine skier Lindsey Vonn, who is set to compete in her first Olympic Games since 2010, says she  wants to represent Americans, but not President Donald Trump.

“I hope to represent the people of the United States, not the president,” she told CNN Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

“I take the Olympics very seriously and what they mean and what they represent -- what walking under our flag means in the opening ceremony,” she said. “I want to represent our country well and I don't think that there are a lot of people currently in our government that do that.”

Vonn said, “Absolutely not,” when asked if she would accept an invitation to the White House should she win gold.

“No. But I have to win to be invited,” she said. “No, actually, I think every US team member is invited so no, I won’t go.”

The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea, in February will be Vonn’s last. She missed the 2014 Sochi Games after injuring her right knee. She’ll be attempting to win her second gold medal. She won her first in 2010 in Vancouver.

Hall of Fame QB Warren Moon accused of sexual harassment, reports say

Former Seattle Seahawks quarterback Warren Moon requested a leave of absence from his job as the team’s radio color commentator after he was accused Monday of sexual harassment in a lawsuit, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

>> Read more trending news

Sports Illustrated reported the Seahawks accepted his leave of absence.

The leave was requested after a lawsuit was filed in California by his former executive assistant, Wendy Haskell, accusing him of multiple instances of sexual harassment. Among other allegations, Haskell claimed Moon slipped a drug into her drink and pulled off her bathing suit top during a trip to Mexico, according to The Washington Post’s Craig Whitlock.

Haskell said she was demoted after complaining about Moon’s actions, according to USA Today.

Haskell was hired in July by Sports 1 Marketing, a company Moon co-founded, to be Moon’s executive assistant, according to the Post. The job reportedly required her to travel with Moon for speaking engagements, charity events and personal appearances.

It’s not the first time Moon has been accused of misconduct toward women. In 1996, he was acquitted on charges that he abused his now ex-wife Felicia, according to The New York Times.

In 1995, he settled a sexual harassment lawsuit out of court with a then-Minnesota Vikings cheerleader, the Times reported.

Moon has been the Seahawks’ radio color commentator for 13 seasons. He played for the Seahawks toward the end of his career in 1997 and 1998. The Seahawks finished with a 8-8 record both seasons, and Moon made his ninth and final Pro Bowl during the 1997 season.

He signed with the Seahawks after three seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. After a career that began with six seasons in the Canadian Football League, and finished with 17 seasons in the NFL, Moon was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. He played collegiately in Seattle at the University of Washington.

The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.

Tomi Lahren slams Beyoncé, Colin Kaepernick as 'police-hating' after awards ceremony

Colin Kaepernick was this year’s recipient of Sports Illustrated’s Muhammad Ali Legacy Award, which he accepted in person from surprise presenter Beyoncé on Tuesday night.

>> Watch the clip here

Prior to the ceremony, Sports Illustrated writer Michael Rosenberg praised Kaepernick for making “his truth known” with his controversial national anthem protests. Explaining the award, Rosenberg wrote, “Each year, SI and the Ali family honor a figure who embodies the ideals of sportsmanship, leadership and philanthropy and has used sports as a platform for changing the world.”

>> WATCH: Beyoncé presents Colin Kaepernick with Sports Illustrated's Muhammad Ali award

This sentiment was reflected in the short introductory speech given by Beyoncé, who said the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback “took action with no fear of consequence or repercussion, only hope to change the world for the better.”

“With or without the NFL’s platform, I will continue to work for the people, because my platform is the people,” Kaepernick said.

Several hours later, political commentator Tomi Lahren weighed in on the award with a controversial tweet.

“Police-hating Beyoncé presents police and America-hating Kappy with a ‘legacy’ award. This is how far we’ve fallen. Wow,” she wrote.

>> See the tweet here

Both Kaepernick and Beyoncé have said they neither hate the military nor the police, both praising members of the respective institutions.

Lahren has been a vocal critic of Kaepernick's protests for more than a year.

>> Read more trending news

In March, Lahren was fired from The Blaze, the news outlet where she gained a following for, among other things, speaking about Kaepernick. After settling a legal dispute with her formal employer, she went to work for Fox News.

Read more here.

Oklahoma RB Rodney Anderson denies rape allegation

Documents show a woman filed a protective order that accuses starting University of Oklahoma running back Rodney Anderson of rape.

>> Watch the news report here

The order accuses Anderson of driving a woman home from a bar and attacking her while she was blacked out. No charges have been filed.

His attorney released a statement denying the allegations: 

"Mr. Anderson first learned of (the woman’s) request for a civil protective order late yesterday evening. Mr. Anderson is shocked and disturbed by (the woman’s) claims. The allegations are patently false. Mr. Anderson did not, nor would he ever, force himself on any woman," the statement began.

"There are undoubtedly true victims of sexual assault, for whom Mr. Anderson carries a tremendous amount of compassion. However, there are those accused of sexual assault which they unequivocally did not commit – as is the case for Mr. Anderson. It is incumbent on our community to reserve judgment and to treat this allegation on its own merit. We are confident that when authorities have all of the information surrounding this circumstance, Mr. Anderson will be completely exonerated of any wrongdoing, and he looks forward to the conclusion of this investigation so he can focus on his obligations as a student-athlete."

>> Read more trending news 

The news comes weeks before the University of Oklahoma faces off against Georgia in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.

The university released a brief statement Monday on the situation saying officials "are aware [of the filing] and are gathering information."

KOKI reached out to them again Tuesday following the release of more details on the allegations and received this statement:

"The university is aware of the situation and is following our protocols in coordinating with the Norman Police Department, which is currently handling the inquiry. The university takes seriously all allegations of misconduct and is continuing to collect information in this matter."

Anderson created a Twitter account Tuesday to defend himself: 

>> Visit KOKI for the latest on this developing story

WATCH: Beyoncé presents Colin Kaepernick with Sports Illustrated's Muhammad Ali award

Surprise!

Former San Francisco 49ers star Colin Kaepernick, who sparked NFL players' recent protests during the national anthem against racial injustice, received Sports Illustrated's Muhammad Ali Legacy Award from a special surprise presenter – Beyoncé.

>> Instagram star gaining attention for resemblance to Beyoncé

"Colin took action with no fear of consequence or repercussion, only hope to change the world for the better, to change perception, to change the way we treat each other – especially people of color," she said Tuesday night at SI's Sportsperson of the Year ceremony.

>> Watch the moment here

"I accept this award not for myself, but on behalf of the people because if it were not for my love of the people, I would not have protested," Kaepernick said after an introduction by "Daily Show" host Trevor Noah. "And if it was not for the support from the people, I would not be on this stage today. With our without the NFL's platform, I will continue to work for the people because my platform is the people." 

>> Read more trending news 

The ceremony airs at 8 p.m. Friday on NBC Sports Network.

IOC suspends Russia from 2018 Winter Olympics

The Russian Olympic team has been suspended from competing in the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, several media outlets reported Tuesday. The International Olympic committee, however, opted to allow clean athletes to participate under the Olympic flag. 

>> Read more trending news

On its website, the IOC said Russian government officials are forbidden to attend the Games, the Russian flag will not be displayed during the opening ceremony, and its anthem will not be played. Any athletes from Russia who receive special dispensation to compete will do so as individuals, The New York Times reported.

Russian athletes or teams will participate under the name "Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR),” ESPN reported. Their uniforms will bear this name and they will participate under the Olympic flag. The Olympic anthem will be played in any ceremony during which a Russian athlete wins a gold medal.

The IOC handed out the unprecedented suspension after completing investigations about Russia’s alleged doping violations, the Times reported. Tuesday's action was based on the findings of the IOC's Schmid Commission, formed in July 2016 to examine the role of Russian officials and institutions in organized doping, ESPN reported. The commission relied heavily on the testimony of former Moscow laboratory director Grigory Rodchenkov.

The IOC ruled that Russia was guilty of executing a state-backed doping program. It did, however, leave the door open for Russian athletes who have passed rigorous drug tests to compete.

Those with histories of rigorous drug testing may petition for permission to compete in neutral uniforms. 

Rodchenkov's testimony, in concert with evidence unearthed and backed by forensic analysis in a World Anti-Doping Agency investigation, refute efforts by Russian government officials to distance themselves and portray Rodchenkov as a rogue actor, ESPN reported.

J.J. Watt and Jose Altuve nab Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year

Two Houston sports icons are bringing home another colossal title: Sports Illustrated’s Sportsperson of the Year.

>> Read more trending news

Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt and the Houston Astros second baseman Jose Altuve nabbed the honors from the vaunted sports publication thanks to Watt’s massive collection efforts on the part of Hurricane Harvey relief, and Altuve’s ability to bring home a World Series title to a city still reeling in the aftermath of the storm.

Says S.I.:

By the third week of September, less than a month after Hurricane Harvey had devastated Houston and its surrounding region, Watt had raised more than $37 million in relief aid. The SOTY candidacy of the Texans’ defensive end was unaffected by the gruesome, season-ending leg injury he suffered in Week 5. The three-time Defensive Player of the Year—the best defensive player of his generation, really—could have had the best season of his career, or the worst. His place as a Sportsperson of the Year had already been engraved.

“Nothing J.J. Watt has achieved in his career, or might still achieve, will measure up to what he did for Houston,” Peter King, The MMQB’s editor-in-chief, said.

For Altuve’s part, the American League MVP was lauded for his inspirational impact on the city:

The 5′ 6″ Altuve had his own contribution to Houston’s post-storm recovery. The personal journey of the Astros second baseman is an inspirational one, a classic tale of an underestimated athlete overcoming the longest of odds. And this fall, Altuve was the joyous catalyst for one of the most unlikely World Series runs in recent memory. Championships don’t save communities, and we should be careful to assign too much weight to their powers of healing. But what other event can bring a million-plus people together and provide a platform, however ephemeral, to cast aside the differences that drive so many of us to sports in the first place?

“The city of Houston has treated me really good,” Altuve told S.I.’s Tom Verducci. “I felt at that time that I owed them something. So when they were having a hard time, I wanted to give something back to them.”

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >