Now Playing
HOT 99.5
Last Song Played
Duval's ONLY R&B
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
HOT 99.5
Last Song Played
Duval's ONLY R&B

crime & law

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Ohio woman, man indicted for creating porn with toddler

An Ohio woman and man were indicted by a federal grand jury on charges related to selling and creating child pornography, according to the United States Attorney’s Office in Cincinnati.

>> Read more trending news

Ciera Richter, 25, of Cincinnati, and Jason Fletcher, 40, of Franklin, were federally indicted Wednesday.

Fletcher was previously convicted by the state of Ohio of importuning a minor, among other crimes. Under the terms of his probation, he was not to possess pornography of any kind, according to Department of Justice spokeswoman Jennifer Thornton.

In May 2017, during a visit with his probation officer, the officer noticed Fletcher had two mobile devices and, after having Fletcher provide access to the devices, started to review the content on both phones.

The probation officer allegedly found pornography of a minor female on one of the phones and Fletcher was subsequently arrested, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

A search of the phone revealed not only a collection of child pornography, but also child pornography videos made with the phone. Some of the videos on the phone allegedly involved Fletcher, Richter and a 2-year-old.

In the videos, Richter allegedly helped hold, entertain and position the toddler, while Fletcher allegedly recorded himself sexually abusing the child, according to court records.

Richter procured the 2-year-old for the purpose of making the videos and intended to sell the videos, according to the indictment and other court documents.

“Richter provided the toddler to Fletcher with the knowledge that as a consequence of the transfer, the 2-year-old would be portrayed in child pornography,” said Benjamin C. Glassman, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, in a statement. “Offenses like those alleged here are among the most heinous, and most important, that we prosecute. We take seriously our duty and responsibility to keep children safe from those who would prey upon them.”

Richter and Fletcher are each charged with one count of conspiracy to produce child pornography and production of child pornography. Those crimes carry a potential sentence of 15 to 30 years in prison.

Fletcher faces a potential range of 35 years to life in prison because he has at least two prior state convictions for crimes involving children.

Richter is also charged with one count of selling a child, which is punishable by 30 years to life in prison.

Medical examiner: Florida woman was stabbed, suffocated

More details have emerged about the death of a 56-year-old Florida woman who vanished from her boss’ Winter Park home in September.

>> Read more trending news

A medical examiner said Jennifer Lynn Fulford, of Altamonte Springs, was stabbed and suffocated 20 miles from where she was abducted, but a motive remains unclear.

Scott Edward Nelson was arrested Wednesday and faces charges of first-degree murder, kidnapping with a weapon, burglary and carjacking, police said.

Three days after Fulford disappeared, her body was found by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office helicopter in a wooded area.

According to documents, her hands and feet were bound and her face duct-taped.

Fulford, who worked for a family in Winter Park, was reported missing Sept. 27 after her boss received a call that she did not pick up his son from school.

Her purse was found on the floor of the Winter Park home, but her keys, wallet, and cellphone were gone.

That same day, police released surveillance photos of Nelson at a Winter Park Wells Fargo ATM.

Records show he bought an Amtrak train ticket out of town 20 minutes later.

Fulford’s car was found at a Publix parking lot the day after she disappeared, police said.

A comforter was found in her backseat, and detectives believe her body was wrapped in it at some point.

A white towel and a T-shirt with blood on it were also found in the vehicle, both of which belonged to Nelson, police said.

Police don’t believe Fulford and Nelson had met before she was killed.

Police: Argument over pajamas leads to toddler's death

A Missouri man, upset when a toddler had not put on her pajamas, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder after the child was allegedly thrown to the floor, where she hit her head and later died, police said.

>> Read more trending news

Jalen Dashawn Vaden, 22, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of child abuse, and Jasper County Prosecutor Theresa Kenney on Thursday charged him with second-degree murder and felony child abuse. He remains on a no-bond hold, Kenney told The Joplin Globe.

The charges allege Vaden inflicted serious injuries on the girl, "causing her head to strike the floor and that she died as result of those injuries," Kenney said.

A probable-cause affidavit filed Thursday by the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office said Vaden admitted to the acts during an interview with a sheriff’s deputy Wednesday, the Globe reported.

On Nov. 27, investigators from the Carl Junction Police Department were called to the home of 3-year-old Jayda Kyle, who was found unresponsive in her bedroom, police said.

Vaden was described as a “live-in boyfriend” of the child’s mother by police, KOAM reported.

According to investigators, Vaden told Kyle to put on her pajamas. When she failed to do so, Valen allegedly threw the child to the floor, where she hit her head. When Kyle still had not put on the pajamas, Vaden allegedly threw the girl onto her bed two times, KOAM reported.

Investigators said that Vaden then allegedly grabbed Kyle’s leg, “tossing her face first” onto the floor, KOAM reported. Vaden then left the bedroom, returning a short time later to find the child bleeding and unresponsive, police said.

Kyle was taken to a hospital in Kansas City, where she died, police said.

Carl Junction police Chief Delmar Hasse said Kyle's mother was cleared of any wrongdoing, KOAM reported.

USA Gymnastics doctor sentenced to 60-year prison term

A judge sentenced a Michigan sports doctor to 60 years in federal prison for child pornography crimes, one of three criminal cases against a man who also has admitted to assaulting female gymnasts.

>> Read more trending news

Larry Nassar worked at Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics, which trains Olympians. Federal Judge Janet Neff followed the government’s recommended sentence Thursday. The Michigan sports doctor admitted he molested gymnasts and kept a staggering collection of child pornography — investigators found more than 37,000 images of child porn on Nassar’s electronic devices in 2016. Separately, he has pleaded guilty to molesting gymnasts with his hands in the Lansing, Michigan, area under the guise of treatment.

Neff said Nassar, 54, “should never again have access to children.”

In January, he will be sentenced for the cases related to his molestation of former gymnasts in his care.

Florida man accused of attacking woman he stalked on Instagram

A Florida man faces multiple charges after he was accused of stalking and attacking a woman with whom he became obsessed on Instagram.

>> Read more trending news

Boynton Beach police arrested Michael Maurice Williams, 25, early Thursday after alleging he entered a 20-year-old woman’s bedroom through a window in late November and battered both her and one of her younger relatives. A 10-year-old boy related to the woman rushed to her aid, using a knife to help fend off Williams, police said.

The woman told police investigators that she believed Williams had been watching her through her bedroom window at least once every two weeks over the past year.

She told investigators she was in that room at about 4 p.m. Tuesday when she noticed someone outside her window and began to scream. The woman ran to the living room and looked out the window but saw no one outside, according to police. When she returned her bedroom, Williams was waiting, police said. He allegedly pushed the woman onto the bed and attempted to remove some of her clothing.

She screamed as she fought him off, police said. Her 10-year-old relative entered the room with a knife and attempted to defend her. Williams pushed the boy’s head back to keep him at bay, police said.

The woman and her relative were able to push Williams out of the room and the residence as another young relative called 911. The man declined medical treatment.

The woman told investigators she did not know Williams, but that he began following her on the social media platform Instagram after she began a career in music. Williams was given a trespass warning at her home last December, according to an arrest report. He was accused at that time of breaking a lock to the same bedroom window through which he recently entered the home, according to authorities.

Williams faces charges of burglary with battery, false imprisonment and criminal mischief. A judge Thursday ordered that he be held without bail and have no contact with either the alleged victim or witnesses.

Bicyclist, pedestrians among 6 injured in suspected New York road rage crash

Six people were taken to hospitals in New York City on Thursday afternoon after a driver struck a pair of vehicles, a cyclist and three pedestrians in what police are characterizing as a suspected road rage incident.

>> Read more trending news

The incident started around 1:20 p.m. when a Lincoln Continental hit the back of a Ford Explorer near the intersection of Liberty Street and Broadway, according to police. The Lincoln continued eastbound and struck the rear-end of a Mercedes SUV before coming to a stop.

Six people were injured in the crash, including the drivers of the Ford and the Mercedes. NYPD Deputy Inspector Mark Ioc said two pedestrians were hit near the intersection of Liberty Street and Broadway while a third was hit near the area where the Lincoln stopped. A bicyclist was also injured.

Ioc said the injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

“Right now we are investigating this as a road rage incident,” he said at a news conference Thursday afternoon. He added that the incident did not appear to be intentional.

Police continue to investigate the cause of the suspected road rage.

Ioc said the Lincoln’s driver “did not seem to be in any medical distress” when officers found him and the heavily damaged car. The driver was taken into custody for questioning, WNBC reported.

The crash happened less than a mile from the path where a driver plowed into bicyclists and pedestrians in October, killing eight people and injuring 12 others. Police identified the driver as Sayfullo Saipov, 29, and deemed that attack an act of terror. Saipov has pleaded not guilty to multiple murder charges and providing material support to ISIS.

Aurora theater shooting survivor dies unexpectedly

A survivor of the Aurora, Colorado, theater shooting that killed 12 people in 2012 has died, and officials are trying to determine what caused her death. 

Heather Snyder, 31, of Centennial, was found unresponsive Sunday evening, according to The Denver Post. There were no signs of foul play at the scene, but Snyder’s autopsy was inconclusive as to her cause of death.

Arapahoe County Coroner’s Office officials said toxicology results and a microscopic examination of tissues would take six to eight weeks, but could shine light on Snyder’s death.

Snyder was one of 70 people injured July 20, 2012, at the Century Aurora 16 theater, where patrons were attending a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” when gunman James Holmes entered and opened fire. Her injuries resulted in the amputation of the index and middle fingers on one hand.

“She never totally recovered from it,” her father, Rick Snyder, told the Post Monday. “She was reminded of it every day.”

Snyder was among a group of 12 Red Robin restaurant employees celebrating a co-worker’s 27th birthday the night of the shooting, the Post reported. That co-worker, Alex Sullivan, was among the moviegoers killed by the gunfire. 

“Her friends died and more were injured, as was she,” Rick Snyder wrote on a GoFundMe page established to help pay for his daughter’s burial. “Her body healed and she quickly learned to live without two of her fingers.

“How many of us exchanged ‘high threes’ with her?” 

Heather Snyder went on to have a daughter, Kennedy, in early 2015. The day before she died, she posted a photo of her bare feet, along with her daughter’s, all of their toes boasting new purple nail polish.

“Salon morning with Kennedy Lynn Roxanne,” she wrote.

The little girl will now be raised by her father.

“She'll have to celebrate her third birthday next month without her momma,” the GoFundMe page reads

Rick Snyder wrote on the fundraising page that donations beyond what it takes to bury Heather will go to Kennedy’s father to help raise her.

Friends mourned Heather Snyder on social media.

More women accuse Al Franken of groping, unwanted kissing

UPDATE: Dec. 6, 2017 5:25 p.m.: Sen. Al Franken is disputing a Minnesota Public Radio report that he is resigning from office during a planned press conference Thursday afternoon. Franken, in a tweet, asked MPR to correct their story.

UPDATE: Dec. 6, 2017 5:00 p.m.: Minnesota Public Radio is reporting Sen. Al Franken will resign his Senate seat on Thursday. The news outlet is citing a Democratic official and “key aides” who have talked with Franken.

“The official spoke to Franken and separately to Franken's staff. A staff member told the official that Franken had gone to his Washington home to discuss his plans with family,” MPR reported.

Minnesota Public Radio said it agreed to withhold the official’s name so that Franken can make the announcement himself.

(Previous story)

Two women came forward Wednesday to accuse Sen. Al Franken of inappropriate sexual behavior as calls for his resignation swelled. 

>> Read more trending news

The reports bring the number of allegations made against the Minnesota Democrat to at least eight. Many of the alleged incidents happened before Franken became a senator, although at least two, including one reported Wednesday, were alleged to have happened after he was sworn in.

A former Democratic congressional aide accused Franken of trying to forcibly kiss her in 2006, three years before he was sworn in as a U.S. senator, according to Politico.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010

The aide told the news site that she was getting her things together after a taping of Franken’s radio show in 2006 when she turned to find him in her face.

>> Related: President Trump comments on Senator Franken's groping photo

“He was between me and the door and he was coming at me to kiss me. It was very quick and I think my brain had to work really hard to be like ‘Wait, what is happening?’ But I knew whatever was happening was not right and I ducked,” the aide told Politico. “I was really startled by it and I just sort of booked it towards the door and he said, ‘It’s my right as an entertainer.’”

Franken denied the allegation in a statement to Politico.

>> Related: Al Franken accused of sexual misconduct by Army veteran, former elected official

“This allegation is categorically not true and the idea that I would claim this as my right as an entertainer is preposterous,” he said. “I look forward to fully cooperating with the ongoing ethics committee investigation.”

Freelance journalist Tina DuPuy also came forward Wednesday in an article published by The Atlantic. She said Franken groped her during a Media Matters party in 2009, after Obama’s first inauguration.

DuPuy wrote she spotted Franken at the party and asked to take a photo with him because her foster mother was one of his fans.

>> Related: ‘Saturday Night Live' women defend Sen. Al Franken after groping allegations

“We posed for the shot. He immediately put his hand on my waist, grabbing a handful of flesh,” she wrote. “I froze. Then he squeezed. At least twice.”

She wrote that the unwanted grope was demeaning.

“It shrunk me. It’s like I was no longer a person, only ornamental. It said, ‘You don’t matter -- and I do,’” she wrote. “He wanted to cop a feel and he demonstrated he didn’t need my permission.”

>> Related: ‘SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'

DuPuy wrote that she thought Franken would resign when allegations first surfaced against him last month. Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden accused Franken of forcibly kissing her and groping her as she slept during a USO tour in 2006.

Franken apologized for the incident, but as the number of women accusing the congressman grew, so did calls for his resignation. A group of female senators, all Democrats, called for Franken's resignation Wednesday, before DuPuy's accusations were published.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent

“It is clear that Al Franken has engaged in a pattern of egregious and unacceptable behavior toward women, and he should resign,” said Sen. Maggie Hassan, D-New Hampshire.

Franken is expected to address the reports at a planned news conference Thursday.

Cops: Pregnant woman burglarized home, opened Christmas gifts

Police in Georgia are looking for two people, one of whom was caught on camera, who stole a package from the doorstep of a home in Duluth before breaking into the house and unwrapping the family’s Christmas presents, according to authorities.

>> Read more trending news

One individual was captured in an image by a Ring doorbell, which allows homeowners to see video of the area surrounding their front door. The individual, who appeared to be a visibly pregnant woman, rang the doorbell, triggering the camera. She and another person, who was not captured on camera, then stole a package from the doorstep, according to police. 

After stealing the package, the woman on camera burglarized the home, police said. Officers said they found Christmas presents under the tree, unwrapped, with wrapping paper scattered around the room. Several drawers from dressers had been removed and left on the bedroom floor, and it looked like someone had gone through them, a police report said. 

Duluth police are asking the public to contact them if they have any information about the identities of the persons in the video. You can email pdpio@duluthpd.com with any information.

See the security footage here:

Middle school teacher charged with sex crimes involving students

A grand jury indicted a middle school teacher in Caldwell County, North Carolina, on five felony counts of taking indecent liberties with a child.

>> Watch the news report here

WSOC-TV reporter Dave Faherty was there as authorities brought in 29-year-old Justin Biggs. 

>> Read more trending news 

Police said Biggs has resigned from his teaching position at William Lenoir Middle School.

Lenoir police said they began their investigation in November after a female middle school student reported being assaulted on school grounds. The investigation led to more students coming forward, totaling five, according to police.

>> Teacher accused of having sex with 16-year-old student in park

The indictments said Biggs, who was a math teacher and softball coach at the middle school, committed a lewd act on a child

Police said all of the incidents happened on school grounds.

"It's hard on the school and the children there,” Lenoir police Capt. Brent Phelps said. “These are tough cases."

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >